Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Understanding

I have had a number of low blood sugar incidents, seizures, and hospital trips over the years. I had always experienced low blood sugar from the inside looking out perspective. Did not know what people around me experienced when I was having an issue.



I was in a band and another member of the band also had diabetes. We performed one night and it was a long 4 hour marathon at a local bar. Since it was local we all went home to our own beds. We got home about 3 in the morning. We had a performance the next day. It was either in the afternoon or a lengthy drive but we had to get an early start.



So the next morning I showed up at my band member's house and gave a call. (no answer) Called again. (no answer) I walked to the front door and knocked. His roommate let me in. I knocked on his bedroom door. (no answer) I opened the door. "Hey we need to get going." He looked at me, smiled, and put his hands behind his head. I thought "he is still sleeping". So I was a little more forceful with my speech. He did not really respond. He just laid there and stared at me. (a glassy eyed stare, very scary)

Then he moved his hands. I noticed that they were shaking and he twitched a couple of times. I then realized he was having a low blood sugar. I walked out of his room and went straight towards the refrigerator. I grabbed a can of root beer. Got him to drink from it and a few minutes later (seemed like forever) he became conscious.

We got something to eat and continued our journey for the day like nothing happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment